I made these healthy quinoa bowls in preparation for National Donut Day. In case you didn’t know, many Chicagoans (and adopted Chicagoans, like me) take their donuts very seriously. I’d say we have some of the best donuts in the country! Though, to be fair, I have yet to try a donut in every state. (You better believe that’s on my bucket list.) Anyway, like I said, many of us take this donut holiday very seriously. I celebrated with perhaps my favorite fried treat in the city, the Buttermilk Old Fashioned from Do Rite Donuts. And while it was as perfect and delicious as ever, I do like to make sure I balance things out. (I sure have talked a lot about donuts for a post about a such a healthy salad.)
This salad is a great option for a meatless Monday, but you could definitely add your favorite protein if you wanted. Chicken, sliced steak or shrimp would be wonderful on top! You could also switch out or add other veggies for your favorites as well. Fresh bell peppers, sugar snap peas, or even some corn would be great tossed in here. The salad gets dressed in a slightly spicy peanut dressing, and makes an excellent on-the-go lunch or dinner.
Bowls seem to be super trendy around here these days and rightly so. They’re convenient, delicious, and even photogenic! If, however, you’ve been trying to make your own meals lately, you could definitely give this recipe a try. Another benefit to learning how to love cooking is the amount of $$$ one can save when it comes to eating out, and by going veggie one can save even more! Plus, you can brag about how you made your own spicy peanut dressing for your super fresh and healthy salad, and give yourself a little pat on the back. Maybe you can even start a healthy homemade salad bowl club at work. (Hey, I don’t know, but I would join that club if I worked in an office.)
Whenever you make this, just pack the dressing in a separate container until you’re ready to enjoy so the ingredients stay crispy, and you’re all set for a fresh and healthy meal!
- For the Salad:
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- ½ C. Carrots Diced
- ½ C. Edamame
- ½ C. Purple cabbage, diced
- ½ C. Cucumber diced
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ C Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ C Peanut butter
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce
- 2 TBS Rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp sirracha (or to taste)
- (Optional) Black sesame seeds, to garnish
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking chop your veggies and make your dressing.
- You can use the veggies I suggest above or you can use your favorites.
- The dressing is simple, just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir together with a fork or whisk until well mixed.
- Once your quinoa is cooked, rinse it in a strainer under some cool water.
- This makes enough for two veggie quinoa bowls.
- Assemble your quinoa bowl with your veggies, quinoa, a generous drizzle of dressing, a sprinkle of black sesame seeds and enjoy!